Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Country Living

I think that living on Cape Cod with its influx of summer visitors and crowds, the ubiquitous chain supermarkets, restaurants and  box stores, one forgets that we are still living in, essentially, the country. That fact was brought home to me in the last couple of days.

Yesterday while driving home on Freemans Way in Brewster from the Shaw's Market in Orleans, a large deer leaped out of the woods and across the road in front of me! It was very cool and it made me think that I am in fact, living in the country. Not 400 yards down on Freemans Way I saw a horse and rider galloping down the side of the road too reinforcing my "living in the country" reverie. 

Today I was leaving my house heading back to work and at the end of our street I saw a large hen turkey in the road! On closer examination I saw she had 6 turkeyettes with her just ambling across the road, not really caring about me or my car. It also was very cool to see. They finally went off into the woods and me on my way to work. 

Sorry about the photo quality. Although I love my iPhone, it takes crappy photos...

Madame la Dinde

et son dindonneaux

No comments:

Post a Comment