Thursday, February 27, 2014

Testing a new product: Campbell's Slow Cooker Sauces

I was in the mood for a nice pot roast this weekend but as I was going to be in and out of the house on Sunday I decided to use the slow cooker instead of using the Dutch oven. I had tried the Campbell's Slow Cooker Sauce for tacos and found it to be a great method of making tender, delicious taco meat instead of using ground beef. This time I tried their Tavern Style Pot Roast recipe and right off the bat I'll tell you it was delicious. 

The recipe on the package says to just pop a 2-3 pound chuck roast into the slow cooker, pour the sauce over the top and cook for 8 hours on low. Being a recipe tinkerer, I had to change that a little bit. I seared the roast in a hot dutch oven until it was good and browned on all sides and put the roast into the slow cooker. Then I poured the package of sauce over the top of the roast. I then took 1 pound of sliced crimini mushrooms and quickly sauteed them in the Dutch oven just to get rid of some of their moisture and topped the roast with the mushrooms. I did follow the recommended timing and cooked the roast for 8 hours. I took the roast out of the slow cooker, tented it to keep it warm and strained the juices into a fat separator and reserved the mushrooms. Once the fat had risen to the top of the separator I poured the juices into a saucepan and reduced them to thicken them slightly and added back the mushrooms. The result was a seriously tasty pot roast with a hearty mushroom flavor and a slight acidity from the cooking sauce. I served it with sour cream and chive mashed potatoes and acorn squash. 

I would definitely use this product again and will continue to try the other flavors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment