Sunday, February 21, 2016

This Weekend's Recipe: Queen Pudding

Yummy cake. Get recipe here
I know just what some of you are going to say so don't bother. What do you do if you've made a delicious cake and you have some left over going stale very quickly? You make Queen Pudding. We used to do this in cooking school. While working in the pastry shop, if there were any leftover danish, croissants, or cake, we would dry them a little and then chop them up, add a custard to them and bake it off. You can also add some defrosted frozen cherries, nuts,  or blueberries to the mix. Use your imagination. Here's what I did with some leftover French Yogurt Cherry Cake, made last weekend. There is no recipe here, this is a "technique" post.



I had about 1/3 of this cake left, so I trimmed off the "crust", the browned edges of the cake, cut it into cubes and tossed it into a well-buttered baking dish

For this size dish and that amount of cake, I figured six whole eggs would do the trick. I added a little more than 1/2 cup of granulated sugar (to your taste, that is), a couple of teaspoons of my homemade vanilla extract and about 1 3/4 cups of whole milk. Add a pinch of salt as well. Whisk the eggs, sugar, vanilla and milk together until well blended

Pour the egg mixture over the cake, dot with butter and bake in a 325 degree oven about 40 minutes.

Test by sticking a knife into the middle and it should come out clean

I served it warm with a little drizzle of some delicious Vermont maple syrup given to me by our Vermont political reporter, MaryKaye. Try whipped cream, or just a little heavy cream. Yum! 

1 comment:

  1. I had some for lunch today with a little half and half (from the office fridge) and 2 nice, juicy strawberries that I chopped up on top of the pudding. Just delicious!

    ReplyDelete