Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Jeopardy... The Giuliani Edition


For Rudy Giuliani, 9/11 is the answer. To almost anything, it seems.

After all, it's why America fell in love with him on that darkest of days, when the mayor was the only person on TV reassuring the nation. It's why he's the Republican front-runner for President.

"For me, every day is an anniversary of Sept. 11," he said in Florida last month.

Giuliani wastes no opportunity to bring up 9/11 on the campaign trail. Sometimes, it looks like a stretch.

Here is "Jeopardy, the Giuliani Edition," where 9/11 is always the answer, but the questions may surprise you:

WHY DID YOU FLIP ON GUN CONTROL?

"There are some major intervening events - Sept. 11 - which cast somewhat of a different light on the Second Amendment."

- Giuliani's September speech to the NRA

WHY DID YOU INTERRUPT THAT SPEECH TO TAKE A CALL FROM JUDI?

"Since Sept. 11, most of the time when we get on a plane we talk to each other and just reaffirm the fact that we love each other"

- September interview with CBN News

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF BUILDING A FENCE ON THE BORDER?

"I support security at the borders. I think security is enormously important in the post-Sept. 11 period. I think we have to know who's coming into this country."

February interview with Fox News

WHAT'S WITH THAT FLAG ON YOUR LAPEL?

"Each time I wear it, it reminds me of Sept. 11."

- July rally in Wilmington, Del.

SHOULD THERE BE FEDERAL FUNDING FOR AIDS DRUGS?

"I don't want to promise you the federal government will take over the role. My general experience has been that the federal government works best when it helps and assists and encourages and sets guidelines on a state-by-state, locality-by-locality basis. It's no different from the way I look at homeland security. Maybe having been mayor of the city, I know that your first defense against terrorist attack is that local police station, or that local firehouse."

- July rally in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

ARE YOU RELIGIOUS?

"I need God's help for everything, and I probably feel that the most when I'm in crisis and under pressure, like Sept. 11, when I was dealing with prostate cancer, or when I'm trying to explain death to people."

- September interview with CBN News.

HOW ABOUT THOSE DEMOCRATS?

"They do not seem to get the fact that there are people - terrorists in this world, really dangerous people - that want to come here and kill us. That in fact they did come here and kill us."

- May interview with Fox News

SO, UM, WHAT ABOUT YOUR MESSY PERSONAL LIFE?

"You can judge me on my public record. I've had a long one. I've had an intense one. I've been under enormous pressure, took over a city that was the crime capital of America, had to handle the city at the very end, when it was part of the worst attack on America."

- May interview with Fox News

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZT WRONG!

$9.11 was the answer a couple of Giuliani volunteers in California came up with as a suggested contribution for a fund- raising party. Giuliani said, "I think they made a mistake."

---Thanks to the NY Daily News for this one---

No comments:

Post a Comment