Saturday, January 10, 2009

When I was a callow youth...

In 1982 I was living in Providence's Fox Point neighborhood (Armstrong Avenue) with Michael Fravel and Joe Braz. We were just having a quiet evening at home when Joe, being a theater person, suggested we watch the Tony Awards on TV. I had had a few... and put up no resistance to watching, even though I was not a big fan of the musical theater at the time. I know what you are saying... Gay man... not into musical theater... a non-sequitur. I changed my mind that night as a relative unknown appearing in a little show called Dreamgirls was introduced by Tony Randall to sing a number from the show called "And I Am Telling You". Well... our TV nearly exploded after the work out that Jennifer Holliday gave it with her amazing rendition of that number. We were literally standing on our feet screaming at the TV shouting praise for her performance. Here is the video from that performance. It is a marvel of our time that these performances are available on YouTube for us to enjoy again.


No comments:

Post a Comment