Sunday, August 15, 2010

Today was Harvest Day at Frenchy's House Party

As you may know I am growing San Marzano tomatoes in a Topsy-Turvy tomato bag. I am also growing 4 varieties of herbs in pots on my deck. I have Greek oregano, rosemary, thyme and sage out there and frankly it is doing beautifully. These are all herbs that I use regularly and have to replace every year so that they will be fresh (as in a fresh bottle of dried herbs). As I was feeling a little better today I thought I could use an airing so I went outside and harvested some of the herbs for drying. It was a beautiful morning and the air seemed nice and clean (plus I took a Claritin just to be on the safe side). I did as I was instructed on the UGA website and tied up the herbs and took them down to the cellar where there is a dehumidifier going all the time. The air down there is quite dry and I have a little fan that I use to air dry clothes in the winter, going down there to keep the air moving. They also say that you should put the bunches into paper bags with holes in them to catch the leaves that may fall off. I have not put the herbs in bags yet as I thought I'd wait until they had gotten a bit of a start first. 

I will keep you updated on this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment