Monday, December 20, 2010

My reaction to the DADT vote

This is huge. 

How was that? Actually I have been waiting for the dust to settle before I said what was on my mind about this. First let me say that Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV) is a great big douchebag coward for taking a pass on voting for the DREAM Act and DADT. The reason? He had to go to a family Christmas party. When there are brave men and women in our services all over the world who cannot even acknowledge their families this cretin uses that as an excuse. What a lame-ass douchebag. 

Second? A couple of weeks ago I was having a conversation with a co-worker about the DADT repeal. As a woman in a same-sex marriage she was postulating about the repeal as a launching pad to the repeal of the odious Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). You see, her wife is a former government employee, now retired, from whom she gets no spousal benefits due to DOMA. She said that once the government is forced to deal with the legally married spouses of gay and lesbian service members, they will be required to do that for everyone. (I discussed this with my friend Anne Levine on her radio show Anne At Night link here at around 1:17) It only makes sense. It may be a back door way to get this legislation repealed but that door is now wide open and waiting for someone to drive a nice big fat lawsuit right through.

Lets hope that this doesn't take too long though. In just a few years Frenchy will be 62 and eligible for Social Security. It'll be another reason for my husband to keep me around for a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment