Monday, February 21, 2011

I need your assistance

This weekend I was out shopping with Sally Tomatoes and we got to talking about a new place that opened up in South Yarmouth. It is supposed to be an Italian market that sells bread, pizza, groceries (Italian),  salumi, formaggi, and pastries. We went in there and decided that they have a long way to go before we will shop there. Growing up in Providence I have been exposed to the neatest markets such as Antonelli's Poultry, Tony's Colonial Market, and the Providence Cheese company to name a few, so I must say that I was disappointed in this place that just opened. I hope they get their act together soon. 

The outcome of this visit is that Sal and I were talking about the pastries that they were selling in this place (nasty looking). The zeppoli and sfogliatelle were just awful looking but they reminded me of the zeppoli we used to get when we were kids in Providence. I remember that Scialo Brothers Bakery on "The Hill" made a good one as did the Lasalle Bakery on Smith Street. But the best ones were the ones from DeLuise Bakery on Chalkstone Avenue. They had a delicious custard filling and a radioactive red cherry on top and were they wonderful. That got Sally and me thinking that as San Giuseppe Day was on a Saturday (March 19th) this year that we would head into Providence in search of zeppoli. What we need are opinions as to the best Italian bakery in Providence (or its environs) from our friends who live or shop in the Providence area and can recommend a great place for us to go. Put your suggestion in the comment section and I'll post the one that gets the best reviews. 

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment