Sunday, March 30, 2014

Keeping busy... Vinegar Peppers Edition

I'm trying to keep myself occupied today so I won't perseverate about this diet. There's laundry to do, vacuuming, dusting.. all the things you don't want to do but must be done. But first, I need to use up some of those little red, yellow and orange sweet peppers they've been selling in the market. I'll make some Sal's Vinegar Peppers!

UPDATE: They're all done! They're really easy to make. All told it took 1-1/2 hours from beginning to end of cleanup!

They're really easy to make. First wash the peppers and clean out the seeds and ribs inside. Cut them up into 1-inch pieces
Into sterilized pint jars place 3 peeled garlic cloves, 1-1/2 teaspoons each table or pickling salt, sugar, dried oregano and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or more to your taste... I don't like them too spicy so I use just a pinch). Pack the peppers in very tightly as they do soften somewhat in processing. Pour in a mixture of 1/2 water and 1/2 cider vinegar leaving 1/2-inch head space. Wipe jar rims, top with sterilized lids and rings and process in a boiling water bath for 7 minutes.
I will wait for 4 weeks before I use these peppers for sandwiches, salads, pork chops or sausages with vinegar peppers. They are very versatile. Note: If you use table salt the garlic may turn blue. The blue color will dissipate by the time the peppers are ready to be eaten. You can prevent this by using pickling salt which is pure sodium chloride and has no iodine or anti-clumping agents.

No comments:

Post a Comment