Monday, June 29, 2009

The International Aisle at the grocery store

Some of the more esoteric items to be found in the canned foods section of your local market...

Thai Green Curry with Crocodile: Not too crazy about curry here


Haggis: Traditional Scottish dish. There are many recipes, most of which have in common the following ingredients: sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally boiled in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours. (Thanks Wikipedia)


Bird's Nest Drink: Minus the bird poop I hope


Whole Chicken in a can: Imagine the sound that makes when the chicken slides out of the can... verrrrry appetizing!


Roasted Crickets with Eggs: Is that with cricket eggs or chicken eggs?


Fish Heads: Not so sure I'd want my food to be able to bite back...


Cheeseburger in a can: How do they keep the lettuce and tomato fresh?


Silkworm Pupae: makes a festive hors d'oeuvre


Duck Fat: I don't think I could use a whole can of this stuff unless I was making a confit, so I guess this is not so impractical.


Pork Brains: A little high in cholesterol


Rattlesnake: Auntie Mame uses this in her pickled rattlesnake canapes. Ask Gloria Upson.



Aw, Mom!! Not roasted scorpions again...


Lamb Tongues: Apparently a gourmet treat on New Zealand

1 comment:

  1. haggis and pork brains were my favorite (as in something i will never eat but enjoyed seeing it on this list)

    ReplyDelete