Monday, August 30, 2010

Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers (continued)

Well folks, the stuffed peppers were a huge bomb. While they had flavor, they lacked the complexity that I get from my usual stuffed peppers. I did season them well, with chili powder, ground cumin, salt and pepper, but they were definitely not great. After taking a bite I tried adding some Worcestershire sauce and a little more pepper but that just gave it a Worcestershire sauce flavor and not a roundness that one finds in a good stuffed pepper. Also I think that the red peppers overpowered the rest of the flavors in the dish. Normally when I make a vegetarian stuffed pepper I use cubanelle peppers and a textured soy protein meat crumble mixed with onions, mushrooms, rice and a little egg to bind. After the peppers are stuffed I put some of my own marinara on top to bake them. Perhaps if I had added a bit of mushroom (for the umami) to the new recipe and a little marinara they would have been better but I doubt it. Mr. B liked the new recipe so it looks like he will be enjoying stuffed peppers for a couple of days to come. 

Vixi et didici.

No comments:

Post a Comment