Tuesday, August 31, 2010

With apologies to Scheherezade, a Topsy-Turvy Tomato Update

"In proportion to one's labour, eminences are gained."- One Thousand and One Nights

Not!!

My tomato growing/canning project is a bomb. I have watered, tended, clipped, snipped, fussed and fed my Topsy-Turvy tomato planter for weeks now hoping to get even one jar full of decent tomatoes for my canning project. The book I have says that the tomatoes must be firm, ripe, and free from spots or splits. As you can see from the photo the tomatoes I have gotten so far off of my plant all have some sort of imperfection that would preclude me from canning them. It looks as though this project will be a bust for this year. I think I need to have three or more plants to get enough tomatoes for a canning project. I guess this year I will have to go to a farm stand and purchase tomatoes for this project. 

What a bummer!

No comments:

Post a Comment