Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Memory Lane (Cue the harps please!)

I saw something on YouTube that made me think back to the "golden days" of high school and I thought I'd post a little something about it.

When I was at East Greenwich (RI) High School I ran around with a pretty fun group of people two of whom I am still friendly and corresponding with. One
still lives in Rhode Island (Linda, La Reine du Barbecue) and the other (Michael D, sometime commentator on this blog) on a little island in Washington State.

We used to go to the drive-in on Friday or Saturday nights and as we never had any money to speak of, and the money we did have was spent on beer, Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill "Wine", and a pre-mixed screwdriver thing I think was called "Tango", there was little money to pay to go into the Hillside Drive-In. Therefore we took up a collection and packed everyone into my Mom's Buick Skylark and drove to the drive-in.

Just before we got there a little re-arranging had to be done. There were usually 2 or more spare tires in the trunk of the car, so they were removed and put into the back seat of the car along with the cooler while Linda, Michael, Bobby McGorty and whomever else was on the list that week jumped into the trunk of the car. Why? Because they didn't charge by the carfull, but per person. I must say that I would've found it strange that one person was driving into the drive-in with a cooler and a back seat full of tires, while the rear end of the car was seriously dragging and giggles emanated from the trunk but they never stopped us and we had some serious fun.

Here is the YouTube video that caused this stream of consciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment